To generate awareness of Germany’s leading online supermarket and educate the public about online grocery shopping, BILD Brand Studio created unique stories for three different target groups, distributed on different platforms. The campaign increased brand awareness by 45% and increased the willingness to buy groceries at Allyouneedfresh.de with 38%.
Publisher/Agency: BILD Brand Studio
Brand: AllyouneedFresh – Deutsche Post DHL Group
Particularly German customers do not trust in the warehousing and delivery cycles of online supermarkets.
AllyouneedFresh by Deutsche Post DHL Group is Germany’s leading online supermarket with over 20.000 offered items. The company also publishes its own online magazine with recipes and inspiration for a healthy lifestyle.
In 2016, online supermarkets only saw a 1.2% share in the overall German food retail market. With regard to other European countries, this market share is comparatively small.
In Great Britain and France, already 5% of food sales were generated online during the same time span. Challenges in Germany are the high density of stationary markets as well as a persistent scepticism of German consumers against ordering perishable food online. Particularly German customers do not trust in the warehousing and delivery cycles of online supermarkets.
The mission was therefore to:
- Generate maximum awareness among all relevant target groups.
- Educate the German public on the advantages of online grocery shopping while reducing their prejudices against online supermarkets (especially regarding the freshness of perishable food).
- Position AllyouneedFresh as an innovative, futuristic and trustworthy online supermarket that enables customers to live a healthy and eco-friendly lifestyle.
- Convert brand story users into new customers.
- Page views
- Dwell time
- Increase in brand awareness (%)
- Increase image (%)
- Increase the willingness to try out AllyouneedFresh (%)
- Increase the willingness to buy perishable food (%)
- Conversion of brand story users in the shop of AllyouneedFresh
- Women and men who run households for their families, 29 to 59 years
- Young women with an interest in lifestyle & physical fitness, 19 to 29 years
- Young men with an interest in technology & innovations, 19 to 39 years
For each of the different target groups, BILD Brand Studio decided to create individual and unique stories.
For each of the different target groups, BILD Brand Studio decided to create individual and unique stories. Therefore, they developed an integrated campaign strategy that would build on an interplay of three of their most successful platforms: BILD, Stylebook, and Travelbook.
The multi-platform approach gave them the opportunity to translate the client‘s goals into individual stories that were effectively customized for the target groups of each platform.
In addition to the branding goals of the client, BILD Brand Studio developed retargeting campaigns on BILD.de and STYLEBOOK.de in order to drive sales. Each retargeting campaign consisted of individually designed display ads that were advertised to brand story readers. Each ad referred to the content of the respective story.
Brand Story on BILD.de
Independent experts spotlight seven myths of online grocery shopping – in the feel and style of BILD. The editorial storytelling element “Fact-Check”-slide as well as an infographic showing grocery shopping statistics.
Brand Story on STYLEBOOK.de
Germany‘s Instagram queen Pamela Reif reveals her fitness and food secrets to the users of STYLEBOOK. Exclusive pictures and videos of Pamela Reif show her during fitness routines and underline her authenticity as a testimonial. A recipe video for AllyouneedFresh is integrated into the story at the bottom of the article.
Brand Story on TECHBOOK
The experts present the current status quo and future trends of online grocery shopping in Germany. Different experts and trend researchers highlight the status quo of online grocery shopping in Germany which is shown in an infographic.
- BILD.de, STYLEBOOK.de, TECHBOOK.de
- Facebook channels of BILD, STYLEBOOK, and TECHBOOK
- Google Search
Exclusive native teaser placements on all three platforms generated maximum reach within the campaign period of two months.
Content distribution and promotion efforts
Publication on BILD’s own platforms:
Exclusive native teaser placements on all three platforms generated maximum reach within the campaign period of two months. BILD Brand Studio monitored the teaser performances via A/B testings on every platform to maximize click rates and ensure best results.
For each brand story, BILD Brand Studio launched an individual Facebook sponsored post campaign. Every brand story was optimized as an Instant Article. As such, the distribution of the post is being preferred over articles that are hosted on external sites and receives a better visibility in the Facebook news feed. Users are not referred to BILD.de, which leads to lower loading times and an improved user experience on Facebook.
Extensive keyword research and optimization of articles with regard to the placement of relevant keywords and structural data in order to guarantee best positions in the search results pages.
Optimizing the content for Google AMP, the new web-based framework that streamlines web pages by reducing the source code. The loading times on mobile devices are greatly reduced, which significantly reduces bounce rates and enhances the user experience.
Size of team involved
+ 38%: Increase in willingness to buy groceries at Allyouneedfresh.de
- > 240.000 Article Views (overall)
- 1:42 Min. Dwell time
Results of the accompanying Market research:
- + 45%: Increase in brand awareness
- + 38%: Increase in willingness to buy groceries at Allyouneedfresh.de
- + 48%: Increase in willingness to buy perishable food
- + 48%: Increase in relevant set for the next purchase
The client’s own website analysis during the campaign period:
- + 100% higher conversion-rate of website visitors that came to AllyouneedFresh.de after reading a brand story (compared to users from the client’s AdWords/ standard display campaigns)
- > 25% Higher average shopping basket of brand story users compared to users from the client’s AdWords/ standard display campaigns
- > 23% Higher re-purchase rate of brand story users compared to users from the client’s AdWords/ standard display campaigns
This case study is part of a collection of award-winning native advertising examples studies from Native Advertising Awards presented by The Native Advertising Institute.
We aim to acknowledge and reward great native advertising and promote inspiring, effective and creative work that helps organizations worldwide achieve their goals and tell great brand stories in a non-disruptive way.